With tax season here, we're pleased to announce that we have once again partnered with Broome County and AARP to offer free preparation services to local residents. Last year, we helped local people receive over $1.8 million dollars in tax returns; we hope to help even more people this year. If you qualify, a New York State certified tax specialist will work with you to complete your return, identify tax credits, and help maximize your refund.
You may qualify for free tax preparation if: Your household income was $60,000 or less last year OR if you are over the age of 65.
Appointments are being scheduled for February 3 through April 11. When you call to make an appointment you will be given options for a site most convenient to you, based on availability. Dates and times will vary by location.
Call 2-1-1 (or 1-800-901-2180) for more info or to schedule an appointment.
The call center is open weekdays, from 8:30am-4pm. You may also leave a message after hours.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What will I need to bring to my appointment?
- Social security cards for all listed on tax return
- Exact birth dates for all listed
- All yearly wages, income statements, and W2 forms
- Photo ID for you and your spouse is applicable (your spouse must be present at appointment)
- A check copy from your checking account to verify direct deposit information
Where are appointments being offered?
VITA: United Way of Broome County is hosting a site in Vestal, Workforce NY is hosting a site in Binghamton.
AARP: The Broome County Library and several other locations will host tax preparation sites.
How long will it take to get my return?
Returns are electronically filed and refunds are usually available within two weeks.
What is EITC?
EITC, Earned Income Tax Credit, is an additional benefit for working people who have low to moderate income. A tax credit means more money in your pocket. It reduces the amount of tax you owe and may also give you a refund.
Earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:
- $46,997 ($52,427 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
- $43,756 ($49,186 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
- $38,511 ($43,941 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
- $14,590 ($20,020 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
For the 2013 tax year, the maximum EITC credit is:
- $6,143 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,460 with two qualifying children
- $3,305 with one qualifying child
- $496 with no qualifying children